Monday, May 11, 2009

Do You Baggu?


Going Green is a lot like being a citizen in an election year.

I know it's weird, but bear with me. As a citizen, you can go all out to support your candidate... attend rallies, volunteer on a campaign, go door-to-door, give money, even quit your job on a hit t.v. show like Kal Penn and start working for the President of the United States. Or, you can just do the are minimum and simply vote.

When it comes to being Green, the bare minimum is just saying no to plastic bags.

On this blog, I try really really hard not to point fingers or get up on my eco high horse because the only thing that accomplishes is to alientate people. But when it comes to plastic bags, I'm not sure enough is being said to discourage people from still using them. The fact is, a single plastic bag from your neighborhood grocery store can take 1000 years to completely break down in a landfill, the idea of which makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I don't want that to be my legacy centuries after I'm gone. And neither should you.

The solution to the plastic bag dilemma is super easy. Just bring your reuseable bag to the grocery store. I have three different bags. One is a large canvas bag and one is kind of swanky, but my favorite thing to carry is a Baggu. What, you ask, is a Baggu? It's only the greatest thing ever! It's made of ripstop nylon, comes in a slew of bright colors, carries the equivalent of 2-3 grocery bags, is machine washable and fits in a tiny nylon envelope smaller than a postcard so it's perfect to stash in your purse, backpack or glovebox. The best part? Baggu bags only cost $8. If you happen to live in Charleston, SC, you can find them at Worthwhile on King Street. Otherwise, you can check out www.baggubag.com

If you're not into the whole Baggu thing, that's cool. There are tons of other reuseable bag options. The whole point is just to get away from using plastic and carrying your own eco-friendly bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment