Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Guerilla Flower Arranging

I adore flowers. There's nothing like a cheery bunch of daffodils or tulips to brighten your kitchen or mood. But what I love more than picking out flowers at the florist is using what's in bloom around me. Not only is it spontaneous, but it's free. You can't get more practically green than that.

Now is the perfect time to "liberate" some of your neighborhood flowers because it seems like everything's in bloom. All March, I had azaleas brightening up my apartment, and a favorite way to display them is to place a single flower in a coffee mug (see photo top right).

Currently, I'm obsessed with magnolias which have a gorgeous scent. On Sunday, I found a tree where some of the flowers were low enough to reach, and I brought home an already opened bloom as well as a bud that has opened in the last day or two. There's something so chic about a single magnolia blossom on a tall stem with bright green leaves in a clear glass vase.

In case you were wondering, I come by my "liberation" tendencies honestly. My parents have been known to scour their Boston neighborhood with clippers, searching for forsythia or bittersweet.

If you like the idea of pillaging flowers in your neighborhood, I offer a few simple guidelines.

1. Don't trespass. Flowers in public spaces are fair game. Flowers behind a six-foot fence are off limits. The idea here is not to get arrested.

2. Know what poison ivy looks like. Just saying.

3. It's not a bad idea to carry around a small pair of scissors. Just remember to remove them from your bag before you get on an airplane. Especially if your last name is Mohammad.

No comments:

Post a Comment